Saturday, August 13, 2022

Historical Minis Wargame Rules I'm Reading/Reviewing

For the last few weeks I have been researching some possible choices for rules sets to use in my fantastic historical wargames campaigns I am planning.  I have definitely decided to use The Solo Wargaming Guide to plan and manage the campaign, but I need to find a rules set or sets to use to work out the actual battles of the campaign.  So far I have acquired the following rules, pictured below clockwise from top left-  Quick Kill (6mm WW2), Oh What a Lovely Wargame (WW1), The Portable Wargame, One Hour Wargames, Hell By Daylight, Hell in Microcosm, FUBAR Vietnam, and Battle for 2mm Earth (2mm WW1).  These choices are specifically for my planned upcoming WW1 and Vietnam campaigns, and I have several others that I have found but haven't printed out yet.  The goal is to choose a rules set that is not overly complicated that can be adjudicated in a solo setting, and the games move along and don't cause mental fatigue, but still being fairly representative of the period.  So far I have yet to really hook into a particular set, definitely need to deep dive several of these systems and decide if I'm going to try one system for both WW1 and Vietnam, or separate systems.  So far I have played One Hour Wargames a few times, and I find that system to be a tad too simplistic, but pretty close to how simplistic a system I want for solo play.  I'd love to find a system one or two clicks more complicated than that.  I think for solo play I will more enjoy the campaign planning and map movements more than the in game tactics, and I think completing games and getting on with things is a better approach than overly complex, long games where its difficult to remember everything.  I would appreciate any feedback from anyone that may know about any of these systems.  



2 comments:

  1. The solo war gaming guide is fantastic! I'm not familiar with the other ones and I've just barely scratched the surface of the "Hell by _____" series.

    As soon as the Campaign Carnival is wrapped up I do plan on diving in to some more of these game books.

    [Wargame Culture]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! I'm starting with the portable wargame, so far its quite good.

      Delete

Nappendixia Campaign 2.0- session 86

  Nappendixia Campaign Session Report Session #- 86 Session Date- 7/3/24 Time Passed- 8 days (7/3-7/10) Roll Call-   Finnigan- T5 ...